Saturday, April 13, 2013

Plant Based Diet... going "mostly Vegan"

I've decided to go with a mostly plant-based diet. This is otherwise known as Vegan. Yes, Vegan.

I've told some people about it, and the basic reaction is "I could never do that", or "why?".

Well, here's why. The first, and most important reason, is for health. It's obvious that fruits and vegetables are good for you. Meat, eggs, etc, have all been debated. One week it's good for you, one week it's not, it's constantly going back and forth. Fruits and vegetables have never been debated. They are healthy, and a good source of vitamins and minerals. I've always tried to eat a fair amount of fruits and vegetables, so I don't think it will be that terribly difficult.

I've also been watching several documentaries, (Hungry for Change, Forks Over Knives, Vegucated), and doing lots of internet research. Basically, I've learned more and more health benefits of going vegan. I am not going to get into all of the specifics, but you should totally watch them if you're interested. Has a lot to do with diseases that could be prevented if we were on a better diet, with more plant based items.

I truly believe that our society, American culture, has completely transformed food... and not in a good way. We have made it quick and convenient, processed, and full of sugar and fats. There is an obesity epidemic, more so in this country than in most. We have an unbelievable amount of of diseases that aren't as prevalent in other cultures.

Bottom line, we have changed food as a society. It's no longer the "real food" that our ancestors used to eat. I've been eating mostly non-processed foods for a couple of years now. It's rare that I eat out, I cook almost every day. I've always felt that processed foods, in general, were bad for our health. I generally feel like if I don't understand what an ingredient is in the ingredient list, then it's probably not all that healthy.

I've been of the mindset for years, but was concerned about not getting all of the vitamins and nutrients that I would need. To be perfectly honest, I didn't want to put the work into figuring out everything that I needed to eat. Finally, my husband got on board after watching Forks Over Knives. We both agree that we want to see for ourselves if we feel healthier and have more energy. We did the research, now we are ready to put the plan into action.

The reason I say "mostly Vegan" is because, we're doing it for health reasons and not necessarily for the ethical reasons. It's certainly not that I like the way animals are treated and slaughtered. In fact, I can't ever watch any of it or read about it, or I would have gone vegetarian years ago. I don't think any of us "like" the way animals are slaughtered (unless they are a sadistic serial killer or something). Because we aren't necessarily doing it for the ethical reasons, we won't be super strict with it. For example, strict Vegans don't eat honey, because honey is made by bees. I like honey, and I think honey has numerous health benefits. Therefore, we will still be eating honey. There are a few examples of that. We also still have a freezer full of meat that we need to eat. We will probably eat meat once a week or possibly once every two weeks or so.

I'll keep you updated with our progress and recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment